EGU 2017

My colleague described it as "feeling like an ant in an ants' nest", and she is right - the EGU General Assembly in Vienna is a BIG conference! 14,000+ participants, talking geoscience all week.. How amazing is that??!!

That means a BIG conference venue. Even as this was my third EGU (in 10 years, mind you) the triangular conference centre still confused me every now and then. But hey, a few extra steps in between all the sitting never hurt anybody ;) Still, you'll quickly find that certain topics stick to certain floors: I mostly wandered round on yellow or brown, with the occasional trip to the green floor. Therefore, it is still quite possible to run into people that you know!

It also means a LOT of talks and posters! Talks are scheduled in 4 blocks of 6 talks (of 15 minutes), and then the poster sessions run from 17.30 to 19.00 in the evening. It is so good, especially for a sea level scientist like me, to have the choice of lots of topics that all feed into my line of research: geodesy, cryosphere, oceanography - you name it, they've got it. Preparation is key though, otherwise you might find yourself wandering around and missing all the good stuff.

Another thing is that there are lines (and conference people) EVERYWHERE. Whether you go for a coffee, lunch, or even dinner in the city..there are people with poster tubes and conference badges. It is kinda funny to know that geoscientists can take over an entire city, even if it is just for a week.
 

Overall, I am very glad I got to go to EGU this year. I had 2 oral presentations and 1 poster (one talk on my recent paper on freshwater forcing in CESM and a talk and poster on a forthcoming allowances paper), talked to lots of people, and generally learned heaps. Not just pure science: I for instance also joined a short course on blogging (did you notice? ;) ). Now its back to the office and transforming all those new thoughts into actual research...