News September 2016

September has been a busy & productive month, so here's a quick update. 

New job

I am proud to announce that I will be starting a tenure-track position at NIOZ in the Netherlands in the beginning of 2017. I will be working at the department of Estuarine and Delta Systems in Yerseke. My research focus will still be on sea-level change, but with an aim to translate sea-level change into coastal changes - a research question that I hope to tackle by combining the expertise of my new colleagues at NIOZ with my own.


New publication

Together with Jan Lenaerts, my colleague at IMAU, I have published a paper in Environmental Research Letters. The paper looks at the response of global and regional sea-level change to ice sheet freshwater forcing, and compares (1) the direct oceanographic response to the freshwater flow into the ocean to (2) the gravitational effect due to the redistribution of mass between ice sheet and ocean. We find that both processes are important to include in sea-level projections, given that the ice sheet contribution is expected to increasingly contribute to future sea-level rise. 

A.B.A. Slangen and J.T.M. Lenaerts (2016) The sea-level response to ice sheet freshwater forcing in the Community Earth System Model, Environmental Research Letters, 11, 104002, doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/11/10/10404002.
 

CLIVAR Conference Qingdao (www.clivar2016.org)

Between 18 and 25 September, I attended the CLIVAR open science conference and early career scientists symposium (ECSS) in Qingdao, China. I co-chaired the sea-level session together with Benoit Meyssignac, and we had a really great set of talks, on diverse topics such as regional ocean modelling, ocean temperature observations, and wave projections. The conference had a different setup compared to other large conferences, in the sense that all morning sessions were plenaries, followed by posters, a 1.5 hour parallel program, and again posters. This setup allowed everyone to hear talks on a wider range of topics. The ECSS was 2.5 days of focus on early career researchers, and how we can contribute to CLIVAR and the direction of science. 

Thomas Stocker, former IPCC WG1 co-chair, showed my work in his keynote talk #proud